Saturday, January 3, 2015

It's Only a Diamond!

The unthinkable has happened!

As "Mr. Cartwright" and I were out for dinner last night (to watch the first half of the Oregon/FSU game) I looked down and to my horror, discovered my diamond was missing in my engagement ring! I wanted to cry! If it weren't for my boys sitting there with us, I would have. Tears welled up instantly but I was able to restrain them from overflowing.

I could do nothing but think about it last night. My heart was so sad. We just celebrated our 20th anniversary and I kept trying to tell myself ,"it's only a ring". I kept reminding myself that it is a symbol of a love that doesn't fall apart like way the ring has. 

So my head hit the pillow and my thoughts wouldn't stop. 

But God had different plans. I had a dream about being back in Honduras and ministering side by side with our missionary friends. I saw the faces of poor, beautiful people. I sat beside orphans and the unwanted. I awoke from the dream at 3:30 a.m..

I couldn't fall back asleep. I rose with a strong desire to pray and commune in the Word. I read Luke 12. I was struck by the words of our Great Shepherd. 

Luke 12:
29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them.31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.32 "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
I prayed for the souls of my children. I prayed for my quick responses of anxiety. I thanked the Lord for his amazing provisions.

6:00 came too soon and I turned my thoughts toward the day. As I was basking in God's goodness under the torrent of water, I proceeded to rub my ring to clean it, which is something I do very frequently in the shower, and I realized I didn't have it on.

I, then, found it quite ironic, that I hadn't had one thought about my diamond. Perspective. That's key.

I still desire to fill that empty space on my ring one day, but I realize there are things in life much more meaningful and eternal. This new year my focus will be on seeking first His kingdom!

1 comment:

BARBIE said...

Oh friend, I am so sorry about your diamond, but I love how you went right to God and His Word. Love you!