Friday, July 15, 2016

Who Are We Relying On?

When it comes to the burdens of life, my goals, aspirations, fears, dreads, and joys, I find myself way too overcome. Way too often. This stems from many different things, one of which is (MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF) fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of making the wrong decisions. Fear of hurt, pain, ridicule. Fear of failure. Fear of man. Fear of rejection. I often recognize this but for some reason wallow in this than to do the right, next thing. I need wisdom!

James 1:5 reminds us where our wisdom comes from:

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.

And this asking involves prayer. This is one area that our over-confident, individualized and self-centered culture is good at avoiding. This seems to be our "last resort" instead of first impulse.

Isaiah reminds the people of Israel this. He gives two little lines of soul-searching, knife-piercing insight to the reason for the judgment coming on Israel.

Isaiah 22:11b
But you never ask for help from the One who did all this.
    You never considered the One who planned this long ago.


These two little lines reveal the depths of the human heart when we try to live this life apart from our Creator. We need His help and no matter what we are going through, we must consider His sovereignty and perfect plan for our lives.

So whether you are fearing the violent acts of international/national terrorism or striving to understand or live in the midst of the social injustices taking place in our country, be certain of this. HE KNOWS! HE SEES! HE WILL REMAIN FAITHFUL! But, we must seek wisdom in all these things.

So I seek Him today.

Precious Jesus, As I sit here speaking to You, I am rejoicing that you are a LIVING God. You are fully aware of my plight as well as those in China, France, and Baton Rouge. I am reminded of your faithfulness in my life as I look back on decisions we faced, then made and no without a shadow of a doubt that you gave us the wisdom we needed.

Today, God, there is a part of my heart that is in a battle over fear. Fear for my childrens' futures, but for their present day as well. You promise wisdom, so I am asking. I am asking for healing for our nation, but most of all for your body. We are so divided right now. Bring reconciliation. Help us all to look outside of our own feelings and "rights" and see you desire for us to live loving one another more important than ourselves. This is when Your bride will be at her most beautiful state. Reflecting Your Light. Showing the Glory of You in all of creation, especially in each ethnic race as fearfully and wonderfully made.

As our freedoms in this life seem to diminish more and more, sometimes on a daily level, empower us to live in that contradiction; wanting freedom but ever knowing that true freedom comes as we give ourselves as slaves and bondservants to you. Empower us by your Holy Spirit to trust you and live by an active faith.

Sometimes, Lord, I seem to be a broken record, but I know you want me to keep asking, seeking, and knocking. You promise to lavish us with wisdom when we ask you without doubting. So please do this Lord. For Your Name's Sake.


No comments: