Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Happy 18th Birthday, Little Joe

So I am a little late.

Sunday, May 1st, "Little Joe", turned 18 years old. And with it came much rejoicing. Not just for the age achieved, but for a return home.

Little Joe,

Here we are. You are now the "magical" number; yet so much has happened in the last couple of months that has proven this number doesn't mean a whole lot.

I can't believe that it has been 18 years. You have grown into an amazing young man with so much talent and personality given to you by your Creator. I know there are many unknowns in your life that you desire answers to that I just can't give you. But I do know the One who has the answers and is the best guide to impart wisdom into your life. 

I know hard lessons were learned over the past few weeks. Lessons that I could never have taught you. Sometimes life is the best teacher. Oh, how difficult it is as a parent to sit and watch this process, but having an incredible God who hears my every prayer made it much easier. This same God is the one who stands with open arms to all who call upon His name. Praise Jesus!

Many times I watch you talking and I can still see your adorable pudgy baby cheeks and those big eyes that seem to take everything in all at once. I close my eyes and think back to 18 years ago in October when you came into our lives. Oh, my heart is filled with thanksgiving! He gave me a beautiful son who has taught me so much about life and myself. You have taught me how to love better. You have taught me how to appreciate all aspects (and genres) of music and I love hearing your fingers move up and down on those guitar necks.

You gave me a gift this birthday. You came home. I pray as we dance through this next season in life, you will lean heavily on the unseen dance partner. The One who wants your whole heart. The One who loves you more than I do. The One who says, "Call unto Me and I will answer you and show you what great and awesome things I can do."

I love you, "Little Joe." Happy Birthday!

No comments: