Thursday, May 29, 2014

All I Need is Your Love

Last night we watched the movie, Grace Unplugged.

And as the end drew near, the tears overflowed. Wishing our story could end the same way. Hoping for that outcome.

If you haven't taken time to watch this movie, I would encourage you to do so. It is the story of parents letting go of their adult daughter; allowing her to fail and loving her through the process. The last one in that list is by far the hardest.

We find ourselves on this same journey. And it is so easy to allow anger and bitterness to creep in. Treating these floundering young people as the enemy because they are not living up to our expectations. Or worse yet, rejecting our Jesus. We live with the thoughts of failure as a parent. We question our choices. Our hearts break because we, very possibly, have lived the same journey and are now on the other side. Forgiven and Set Free.

BUT, God is the God of redemption and reconciliation. When I remember and think on all that Christ did for me to reconcile me to Himself. All the forgiveness. All the pain. All the suffering. And He didn't give up. (Before watching this movie, I was at a giving up point. I mean how many times can you keep saying or texting I love you, without a response?) (I look to Christ for the answer to that question.)

At the end of the movie, the parents learn to rejoice in the journey. To embrace their daughters gifts and shower her with love. And that's just what she needed. She already knew the truth and had heard all the lectures words that were spoken in her short lifetime. She needed to find out for herself, but she needed her parents to still be her parents. She didn't need rejection. She didn't need to hear, "I'm the parent; the authority. I am right." one more time. She needed to see the Savior's love lived out in a fashion that was unmistakable. There are times for those much needed words, but as our kids learn to fly, their failures, sins and mistakes turn into the best remedy toward repentance.

The daughter, Grace, sang this song, dedicated to her parents in the very last scene.

My prayer is that my boys would find these words deep in their souls. And cry them out as well. But I know it may be not until they come home filthy.

"Honestly it's time for honesty
My heart is on my sleeve
Oh will You hear me out?
I've got nothing left to give of me
I gave up everything
So there is nothing less to loose from me now
But You forgive me somehow.

I've chased a million things
Bright lights and empty dreams
Now here I am
Right where I thought I wanted to be
I'll trade it all right now
Leave it all and lay it down
To get back to where I belong
Lord, all I've every needed was Your love.

Truth be told I made this world my home
I let it steal my soul, but now I want it back
Cause all I need is waiting
In Your arms a place to hang my heart
Where I am known at last
You're the one true thing I have.

I've chased a million things
Bright lights and empty dreams
Now here I am
Right where I thought I wanted to be
I'll trade it all right now
Leave it all and lay it down
To get back to where I belong
Lord, all I've every needed was Your love.

And I know that I was meant to be
More than just a melody
I know that You had hopes for me
I know you still believe in me.

Lord, all I've ever needed was Your love
Lord, all I've ever needed was Your love."

No comments: