Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's NOT your right!

The American way..."It's my right!"


God's way....1 Corinthians 8:9-13
"But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, he will not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brothers, and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble."


Food, drink, modesty, television show, movies, any form of entertainment, money, etc.


These are all things fellow believers' consciences differ in. And we must take the high road to encourage our neighbor, not bring down.


So often, we are so self-focused that we are blinded to the fact, our sin is not against our brother, but against Christ who paid our ransom. When we cause a fellow brother to stumble, we are seeing our liberty as more important than their growth.
Self-centeredness.
Plain and simple.


I find it interesting that the Apostle Paul did not say, "If food makes my brother stumble, I will abstain until he has matured." What he does say is, "I will NEVER eat meat." 


Putting our brothers and sisters ahead of our own desires and loving them more important than ourselves. 


After all, this was Christ's attitude as He laid down His own life for us.

1 comment:

Intentional Living Homestead said...

What a great post...and you are absolutely right.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Blessings,
Connie