Friday, October 14, 2011

Unmatched Kindness

I find myself so prone to judging others. As I am reading through, Brokenness, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, I am realizing the reason for this attitude.

Pride. Plain and simple. It is a nasty snare that can so subtly creep up and entangle my heart.

Along side this book I am studying the book of Romans and wouldn't you just know it? They go hand in hand. As I read through Romans chapter 1 yesterday, much of it was a reminder of things I've already heard. Man has no excuse to reject God; for God has written His law on each man's heart as well as creation shouting out His majesty. Then I came to verse 28.

"And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

I thought, "In order to NOT acknowledge God, they had to acknowledge Him at one time. I certainly am not in that category. I have not been given over to my sin. I have not murdered."

You can fill in the blank. I have not........

I come to chapter 2 and BAM!!! I realize the pride. Without Christ I am capable of everything Paul lists in chapter 1. I pass judgment on those doing these "wicked" things. Have I been angry? I've murdered. Have I been impatient? I've hated. I've thought I'm better than others. How wicked!

Then Paul asks the reader, "Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?"

It was God's kindness, compassion, and patience that drew me and yet, so often, I demand judgment on others.

Forgiveness is what is needed. For me.

1 comment:

Intentional Living Homestead said...

No words...just thank you!!!

Have a blessed weekend dear friend.
Connie