Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unworthy

(Luke 71-10)

Jesus has entered Capernaum. The crowds continue to follow him. Sadly, they are following for their own needs to be met, as well as just seeing Him as a prophet.

The crowd seems to be a mixed group of people. There are always those who have sincere faith who really desire to know this Jesus.

2Now a centurion had a servant who was sick and at the point of death, who was highly valued by him.3When the centurion heard about Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his servant.

Notice the religious leaders request of Jesus.

4And when they came to Jesus, they pleaded with him earnestly, saying, "He is worthy to have you do this for him, 5for he loves our nation, and he is the one who built us our synagogue."

Notice the centurion's response.

6And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. 7Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed.8For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come,' and he comes; and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it." 9When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." 10And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well.

There was an extreme change in response. I suspect the first request was from hearts of the religious leaders. They were always concerned for the outward; wanting to "look good"; making note of what people did instead of their motives.

Jesus is always concerned with the heart. So many times he reprimanded the religious leaders for this.

My heart? I know the truth of Jeremiah 17:9. My heart is deceitful and desperately wicked...I don't even know the measure of this. But my Jesus knows. I pray for his mercies every day.

Jesus saw the Centurion's true faith, and rewarded it.

Are you worthy or unworthy?

1 comment:

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Oh dear friend...I feel totally unworthy most days.

Thankful for mercy and grace every day.