Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Ultimate Sunrise

The book of Luke opens up in such a way that makes me fall to my knees. Yes, we all know that this is the record of the birth of Jesus, but reading the account of Zachariah and Elizabeth as well as Mary's visit is amazing.

Scripture records both Mary and Zachariah were "filled with the Spirit" and then prophesied in form of a song.

Zachariah uses an interesting name of God in his prayer full of praise.

Luke 1:76-79
And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High;
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways,
to give knowledge of salvation to his people
in the forgiveness of their sins,
because of the tender mercy of our God,
whereby the Sunrise shall visit us from on high
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
to guide our feet into the way of peace."

When I think of a sunrise, beauty immediately comes to mind. But then I also think to the darkness(at least on the part of the earth that I live) at night. Pitch black. Once the sun comes up, all darkness is dispelled.

No darkness can remain. The light overshadows the darkness. All the time.

My Lord is that Sunrise. He dispells all darkness...even in the valley of the shadow of death. He guides my feet. He brings peace when all else is chaos.

Malachi 4:2 also refers to Jesus as light, "But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall."

At times there seems to be darkness all around me. I turn to the Light that guides my way.

No comments: