Friday, April 22, 2011

A Conversation Not to Forget

A couple of days ago, my darling daughters and I were on our way home from the eye doctor, who happens to be one and a half hours away. So there is plenty of time for conversation.

After a few minutes of quiet, Marie asked me a question.

"Mommy, what were Gran's parents' names?"

"John and Barbara Kovachik", was my reply. I was not ready for the path we were headed down, but thankful for a sweet daughter's heart.

"Did they know Jesus, Mommy?"

I suck in breath. "I don't think they did, Sweetie."

"That means they are in hell?"

I don't want to go there. "Yes. They are if they didn't embrace Christ as Lord of their lives."

"That's awful!"

At this point I am telling myself, "Opportunity!"

"Marie, that is why it is so important to share Christ with those around us. Even your 2 friends in the neighborhood that don't know Jesus, need to hear. We may move one day and never see them again. We need to use every opportunity to share our light."

"Or, they could get in a car accident and die, right Mommy?"

My thoughts turn inward. How often do my children see me sharing my light with those around me? Have they ever heard me give the Gospel to others?

I am so thankful for the heart of my little girl.

I knew all along that my precocious 5 year old was listening.


4 comments:

Joy said...

It is so important for us not to miss these teachable moments! Good job Mom!

Sandpiper said...

So true! Children are watching & listening to everything we do. Thanks for the reminder.

BARBIE said...

What a wonderful opportunity to bring truth and hope into your children.

Penelope said...

Wow! Great job! Teachable moments is what it's about.