Monday, November 15, 2010

My Speech

You may read the title of this blog and be expecting some grandiose written presentation.

NOT!

For the speech I am referring to is the oral poison or gems that come out of my mouth daily. And so many days it is the former. For if I just thought before I spoke, so much would be different. So Much!

As I have been taking in the first couple of chapters in Elizabeth George's book, Beautiful In God's Eyes, I learn these essentials:

1. Speak less often.
Proverbs 10:19 When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

2. Speak only after we think about what we are going to say.
Proverbs 15:28 The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.

3. Speak only what is sweet and pleasant.
Proverbs 16:21 The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.

4. Speak only what is wise and kind.
Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

My friends, our words will cut or heal. They will bring life or death.

What are your words saying today?

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hello! So SO true, and so hard to follow. Unfortunately, I am frequently spewing poison rather than pearls, and I try, with God's grace, to work on this daily. A good reminder ~ Thanks!

Michelle said...

I love Elizabeth George...she is my favorite author:)

What a convicting blog and topic. It's only 8:30a.m. and I've already sinned with my mouth:(

Thank you for the reminder.