Saturday, November 20, 2010

Job Chapter 2

Job has lost all. Now Satan comes to the Almighty asking for permission to sift Job by physical illness. God gives His permission, but commands Satan to not oppress him to death. In the midst of this dialogue, Jehovah reminds the devil, "...and he still holds fast his integrity."

Job is smitten with boils. Sores that won't heal. Pain that doesn't end.

I'm sure Job feels like dying.

In all this, Job's wife comes against him. "Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!"

This made me do a little heart surgery...Am I an encourager to my beloved? Even in the midst of his sorrow? When he feels discouraged, how can I lift him up and not be the salt in his wounds?

Job's response to his discourager is astounding. He gently puts her in her place, likening her to the foolish women. But turns to His Great God.

"Shall we indeed accept good from God and not except adveristy?"

In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Now, if this was my story, I think it wouldn't have ended the way Job's did. I would be complaining to everyone in hearing distance. I would be asking God, "Why?" I would be MAD.

I wonder if before Job's trials, he would have thought the same thing. Because I know God's grace is amazing when He brings the storms and rains.

No comments: