Monday, October 5, 2009

A Broken Butterfly Wing, a Band-Aid, and Sin




Sunday morning, my darling daughters found an injured butterfly. They held on to it and let it crawl on their arms. After a bit, it was time to leave for church and we decided to put it on a bush in our yard. I didn't think it would be there when we got home. I was wrong. The first thing "Inger" said when we got home was, "Let's go see the butterfly." To my amazement there she was, still clinging to life. The task-oriented person that I am, said, "It is time to go in for lunch." My littlest proceeded to bring me a band-aid and said we needed to go fix that butterfly. "Mr. Cartwright" took over from there and took "Inger" outside to attempt to put the band-aid on knowing it would fail. But, he knew this was a great teachable moment.

We believers, have had our eyes opened to the sin in our lives that cripples us. We know the remedy to our "broken wings" is Jesus' blood being shed for us, his death, and resurrection. The world on the other hand proceeds to try to fix their "broken wings" with all kinds of "band-aids". Nothing but a new wing will work. Thank God for the atonement! I praise my Savior for my new wing.

II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature. The old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.

No comments: