Thursday, September 17, 2009

It is Good to Be Afflicted



Psalm 119:67,71,and 75
"I know, O Lord, that Thy judgments are righteous, and that in faithfulness Thou hast afflicted me."
"It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I may learn Thy statutes."
"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Thy Word."

Do we trust our Sovereign Ruler's wise care? When do we run to God the most?

Whatever the situation you find yourself in, God has designed it to make you, not to destroy you. It has been issued by God to mold you into the image of His dear Son, who knows what it is like to be afflicted.


Here is a song we sing at church that speaks to the heart of this discussion. May you find comfort in whatever God has for you in this journey of life.

Sovereign Ruler of the Skies.
Ever gracious, ever wise;
All my times are in thy hand,
All events at thy command.

His decree who formed the earth
Fixed my first and second birth;
Parents, native place, and time,
All appointed were by him.

He that formed me in the womb,
He shall guide me to the tomb;
All my times shall ever be
Ordered by his wise decree.

Times the tempter’s power to prove;
Times to taste the Saviour’s love;
All must come, and last, and end,
As shall please my heavenly Friend.

Plagues and deaths around me fly;
Till He bids, I cannot die;
Not a single shaft can hit,
Till the God of love sees fit.

John Ryland




No comments: