Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Facing the Stress with Meekness


According to Kay Arthur, in her book, As Silver Refined, the key to facing stress is meekness.

"Meekness is the key to acting versus reacting when disappointments come. Since meekness is the key to a right response in trials, God is at work to build meekness into our innermost beings. And the way He works meekness into our characters is through disappointments and trials. Meekness is born in stress, in trials, in affliction, in conflict....in difficulties. Meekness is born in situations that humble you. This meekness that God so highly values in your life will show itself -prove itself- in oppression and pressure and disappointment. See this in what God allowed His chosen and beloved people to go through---and why:"


Deuteronomy 8:2,3

"And you shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not. And He humbles you and lets you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that HE might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD."

Bread of Life, make me hunger for nothing but you. I know I can fill this body with many things that I think will sustain me, and yet I always come back to nothing but You, God. I always am confident of this in the dark valleys. Make me content there...

No comments: