Monday, April 23, 2012

The Little Lost Birdie

Yesterday we arrived home from church, and as soon as we opened the car doors, Mr. and Mrs. Clifford, (the affectionate names given to cardinals by "Inger") flew away from our front window. Normally they are not that close to the house. Soon after we discovered there was a baby cardinal "lost" outside our front door. The momma and dada kept flying down, seemingly trying to coax their baby to follow them. It was fruitless and the little one ended up in our garage, with his frantic parents flying veraciously in and out of this confined space.


"Mr. Cartwright" was able to get the baby on a twig and remove him from the garage. He placed him on the front lawn and we backed up hoping to see him cooperate. To no avail. 




He finally flew to our neighbor's tree across the street. Up and down. Up and down his loving parents flew beckoning him to follow. He was able to attach himself to the bottom of the tree, but could get no further. Pretty soon a bird of prey started circling up above. Like the great guy he is, "Mr. Cartwright" went over, picked up the bird and placed him in the lowest branch of the tree. We kept trying to reassure his parents we were not going to hurt him. Finally he followed them up higher and we went inside. 


But my mind kept thinking about how similar this little birdie is to me in regards to my heavenly Father. I want to trust Him. He beckons I follow and yet, so many times fear creeps in unaware and I think I know what is best. He lovingly swoons around me trying to coach me to trust. Without even knowing it, I face the enemy. When I don't trust, I allow Satan to have a foothold and he wants nothing more than to tear me away from my Heavenly Father. I open myself up to all sorts of trouble when I don't follow. Boy am I thankful for the gently prodding of the Lord.


Romans 2:4 "Or do you think lightly of the riches of his kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the spiritual lesson you found in the little bird's situation. You have a beautiful way of hearing God speak through nature. Thanks for sharing.
Love you, Patty