Friday, February 10, 2012

The Extent of a Merciful God

It seems that everywhere I read in the Scriptures, no matter how sinful the people were, God always extended mercy.


Judges 1 and 2 was where I meditated today. 


Joshua led the people into the promised land and gave them the orders of the Lord before He died.  The Israelites failed to obey. Every single tribe failed to drive out the heathen and idolaters in the land they were given. The cycle continued.  The anger of the Lord burned against them; He verbally reproved them; they lifted up their eyes to heaven, wept and sacrificed to their God.


Judges 2:10 "All that generation also were gathered  to their fathers; and there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord, nor yet the work which He had done for Israel."


The baton was not passed. The mandate given to the people in Deuteronomy 6:7-8 was forgotten.


Lord, help me to pass your goodness and the Gospel on to the next generation by my daily interaction with my children. Help me to NOT forget to instruct them. Grant me strength in this task.


So, one would conclude what is stated next; "Then the sons of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord and served the Baals, and they forsook the Lord their God...."


The cycle: God's anger burned; He gave them over to their enemies; wherever they went the hand of the Lord was against them.


As I read verse 16 of chapter 2, tears began to flow.


"Then the Lord raised up judges who delivered them from the hands of those who plundered them." WHAT??? They don't deserve this Lord.


I don't deserve this.


The mercy God displays to His children is astounding. I need this mercy every day. God's love and covenant with His children is never-ending. His promises to Abraham WOULD be fulfilled. His promises to me, His child, WILL be fulfilled.


I am awestruck by this mercy.


No comments: